So, how was everyone’s Christmas? Being Jewish, I didn’t do anything for it besides get pretty bored. I’m in that phase of break, where I have lots to do but don’t feel like doing any of it and I am BORED.
Georgina has done this End of Year survey the past few years and she sent me the questions so I thought this year I’d give it a go. Forgive me–I don’t know the actual source of the questions.
Overall 2012 was a great year for me. Let’s dive in. 🙂
- What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I ran a ten-mile race in August, totally solidifying my newfound love for distance running.
- Did you meet any of your important goals this year? What are your goals for next year?
Most importantly, I declared my Communication Studies concentration at university. Hello, future! My biggest goal for next year is to run my first full marathon in the fall, although I see that as more of a plan than a goal because I know for certain that I will do it.
- Did anyone close to you give birth?
My boss gave birth to a beautiful baby girl over the summer. :3
- Did anyone close to you die?
- What countries did you visit?
I did not leave the United States, sadly.
- What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
I want more self-confidence in terms of my body image, which means 1) getting fitter and 2) loving myself.
- What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
At the moment, 16 September comes to mind because that is the date I set my current personal record in the 5K (24:49), but I can’t imagine it will remain in my memory for much longer. 11 August also comes to mind as the day I ran Run Thru Hell (the ten-miler mentioned above), but again, I’m sure that will be replaced by a new date.
- What was your biggest achievement of the year?
My ten-mile race! 1:29:26, 8:57 min/mile pace. I was proud just to finish and even happier to come in averaging under nine minutes per mile, especially when all my friends who also ran it guessed that I would not finish in less than 90 minutes.
- What was your biggest failure?
Compromising myself because I imagined it was necessary for acceptance by a select few.
- Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes, most notably:
- I got food poisoning over spring break;
- I sprained my right ankle toward the end of October three miles into my long run. It is still injured, but is much improved.
- What was the best thing you bought?
Each new piece of running apparel I buy is my new favorite thing, so at the moment it’s my new Under Armour running tights. :love:
- Whose behavior merited celebration?
My mom, for working so hard on her Masters degree. :3
- Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
One of the friends I met over the summer. :/
- Where did most of your money go?
Paying rent over the summer. Exciting, I know.
- What did you get really, really, really excited about?
- What song will always remind you of 2012?
Probably something by Asking Alexandria, like “Not the American Average” or “To the Stage” because I got into that band about halfway through the year as a result of meeting some awesome people who ended up defining my whole year looking back on it now.
- Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner
c) richer or poorer? Poorer
- What do you wish you’d done more of?
Weight training! I ran a lot but I slacked on the strength stuff.
- What do you wish you’d done less of?
- How will you be spending Christmas?
I had been planning to spend Christmas Eve at my dad’s with my brother (we are Jewish but my dad’s side of the family is Christian), but my dad never called so that didn’t happen. Christmas Day, I tried to go for a run wearing a Santa hat, but the little ball on the end was bouncing too much and kept pulling the hat off, so I did three miles with it in my hand. 😛
- Did you fall in love in 2012?
- Read any good books?
Lolita was good.
- What was your favorite TV program?
- Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Nope. I do resent someone I met this year but only because of decisions I made.
- What was the best movie you saw?
I only saw two movies in theatres: The Hunger Games and Dark Knight Rises, so I guess I’ll have to go with the latter.
- What was your greatest musical discovery?
The discovery that I have been getting into heavier music like Asking Alexandria and Suicide Silence!
- What did you want and get?
- What did you want and not get?
A sub-24 5K. Next year!!
- What did you do on your birthday?
I ate out with my then-boyfriend at Buffalo Wild Wings the night before my birthday, then went to my mom’s apartment to spend my birthday there, where my mom, my brother and I went out to Red Robin for free birthday burgers.
- What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Sub-24 5K, I guess. I can’t think of anything else. 😛
- Who kept you sane?
Georgina. And probably Patrick—co-worker, friend, and paper-writing coach.
- Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Danny Worsnop (from Asking Alexandria), I guess. I didn’t really fancy anyone, but he’s pretty cute.
- What political issue stirred you the most?
- Who did you miss?
- Who was the best new person you met?
- Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2012:
If I want to talk to someone, I can. It’s as simple as that.
- Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
“If the sky is the limit, then I’ll build a bridge up to it. If I make it back, I’d still want more.” – from “I’m Here to Take the Sky” by D.R.U.G.S.
I invite everyone to do this survey because I want to hear about your years looking back!! If you decide to do it, you should totally leave a link to your answers in the comments so I can read ’em. 😉